Uber-style referral program
Uber gives each of its registered riders a unique referral link that they can share an unlimited number of times and invite new users to join Uber.
Referral code gives new users a free balance to spend on their first ride.
Each time referral code is used by a new customer (during sign up), the referrer gets a reward - free balance on their account to spend on the Uber rides.
- Their program is double-sided, so both referrers and new users get a good reason to at least try Uber.
- Rewards and incentives for new users are very attractive as this free balance is usually enough to get a free ride.
- On top of that, Uber made referring smooth and easy. Rules and benefits are clear for both sides.
- Create a double-sided referral program.
- A sign_up custom event created in the Event Schema. Go here for more information.
- In the first step, define program details such as ⬇️
- In the 2nd step, define optional time limits ⏰ - add a campaign timeframe, days of the week, or recurring periods when referral codes are active (you can read about all time limits for vouchers here). When ready, go to the NEXT STEP. ➡️
The 3rd section 'Incentive workflow' lets you define program structure and add referral codes with free credits that new customers can use during their first ride.
- Choose a conversion event (when a new customer is approved as a referred) - in this program, a conversion event is a sign up made by a new customer with a referral code.
It means that if a new customer signs up, he/she will be counted as a referred customer.
Now, you need to choose a type of your referral program:
- Choose double-sided referral program 🧑🧑
Go to the NEXT STEP and define incentive for the referee (new customer) ➡️
Referral code gives new customers free balance to spend on their first ride. It means that redemption of referral code (while signing up) results in adding free balance to a gift card attached automatically to a new customer. Here's how it works step by step ⬇️
- A new customer gets a referral code from the already registered user.
- A new customer signs up with a referral code.
- Redemption invokes adding free balance to a new customer's account which is gathered on a predefined gift card.
- Added balance can be used by a new customer while paying for a ride.
Coming back to the manager, choose gift credits as a reward for a referee and add a value of referral code. In the picture, you can see that new users who redeem referral code will get 20 PLN loaded on their predefined gift card.
Predefined gift cards campaign 💳
Every customer in Voucherify has a predefined gift card attached to their account. It's automatically added to each customer at the moment he/she enters your database and the initial value of a predefined gift card is always 0. Read more >>>
Below the Referee reward section, you can see Validation rules for the referral code's redemption. Validation rules enable you to additionally restrict redemption of referral codes to one per customer. As a result, you can be sure that already registered users won't use the code. To add a rule, click on CREATE and define its name (identifier for the future) 🤓
Choose Redemption per customer from Budget constraints and set it to one.
You can add more validation rules and limits to referral codes. If you'd like to learn more about available options, go here.
When referral codes are equipped with all necessary limits, confirm with SAVE and choose NEXT STEP ➡️
- In the 5th stage of the program creation, you need to define rewarding criteria and tell Voucherify when the referrer is rewarded.
- Choose the first checkbox to reward riders every time their referral code is redeemed (new user signed up with their code) ✅
- Now, click on NEXT STEP and define the reward for referrers. In the picture, you can see it's a 20 EUR balance to spend on rides loaded on a customer's predefined gift card 💳
Lastly, in this stage, you can implement channels via which you want to notify a referrer about a reward (new balance on their predefined gift card). To learn more, go here.
You can choose from ⬇️
- HTTP callout (add specific URL for notification)
- MailChimp or ActiveCampaign (Integrations)
- Email (the manager lets you design the message template)
- SMS (the manager lets you design the message template)
When the action is defined, click NEXT STEP ➡️
- In the 6th stage, you can add optional metadata ⚙️
- The last stage of the manager shows you a summary of your referral program. You can see the overview and, in case you need to, go back to each step to set it up again. When all program details are ready, confirm with SAVE and wait until the campaign is generated ⏲️
Today, we'd like to tell you more about Uber referral program and recreate it with Voucherify. 🚗
A double-sided referral program launched by Uber contributed to the global success of the company serving rides across 45 countries by now. In this short guide, you'll see how to start a referral campaign like Uber using Voucherify.
Uber Riders Referral Program
Reasons for Uber referral success 💡
Let's model such workflow using Voucherify and a referral campaign. 🤓
What are we going to do?🤔
What do you need?
Video tutorial 🎥
If you prefer to watch the video, click play, and see how it works. You can also follow a step-by-step guide below the video.
Create a referral program 👍
To start with, you need to add an event that defines sign up to the Voucherify dashboard. Go to the Event Schema in your Project Settings:
Note that your app or website needs to be already integrated with your Voucherify account. The integration enables Voucherify to track custom events performed by your visitors, such as new sign-ups, etc. 🔗 Visit our Developer Docs to learn more.
After you define the event, open Campaign Manager and add a new referral program ➡️
Click NEXT when it's ready. ➡️
Learn how to use Voucherify to generate
referral links and encourage referrals like Uber 🚗
Remember that each referral code needs to be published before new customers (referees) can use it. Publication means the process of assigning referral code to a particular customer (referrer). You can perform this action either through Distribution in the dashboard or programmatically via API. You can learn more about publishing methods in this short guide.